1st Templepatrick Boys’ Brigade celebrate their 60th Anniversary
FIRST Templepatrick Boys’ Brigade is celebrating its 60th anniversary in 2013.
Over the weekend, the Company celebrated the milestone anniversary with the annual BB display on Friday night, following by an Anniversary Dinner on the Saturday Night and a service of Thanksgiving for 60 years of BB work on Sunday, with the talk given by Rev. Trevor Wilson.
The Company, was first made of of boys aged between 11 and 18, and was first enrolled on November 10, 1952 under the Captaincy of local man Jim Wylie, Chaplain, Rev. Samuel J Duff and Lieutenants Robert Taylor and Thomas Duff.
When it was decided to extend the Company to include younger boys of eight years and over, Harold Hughes was asked by Rev. Duff to form a group of Life Boys.
The official enrolment took place in March 1967 by which time the Life Boys were referred to the Junior Section.
Harold became Leader-in-charge, with Anne Hughes, Elizabeth Beattie and Joan McKee (now Mrs Joan Johnston) as assistants.
At the beginning of the 1970s an under-8 group, the Robins, was formed under the leadership of Frances Conlan and Hazel Thompson.
In 1981 the Robins became known as the Anchor Boys. Over the years the Company Section has enjoyed camps at Balloo (1953), Ballyreagh (1954), Portavogie (1955), Donaghadee (1956, ’57, ’64 and ’66), Castlerock (1958), Portstewart (1959, ’62 and ’65), Groomsport (1966).
Other venues have included Ardrossan, Skerries (1963), Largs (1969), Ayr (1970), Kilmarnock (1972), Ramsay and Gannaway.
More recently the Company Section has gone over to England to watch some well-known football teams play.
The Junior Section over the years, has also gone on many adventures including visiting the Copeland Islands and week-ends away to Coleraine, Ballycastle and Portstewart.
More recently the boys have been on days away, visiting places such as the Folk Parks at Omagh and Cultra and the Fermanagh Caves.
The Anchor Boys have made interesting visits to places like the zoo and the airport as well as having visits to them by the local police and firemen.
These events over the years hold many memories for boys and leaders alike, but the weekly meeting in the Church Hall is still where most of the work is done for badges, awards and competitions.
Many Antrim Area and Northern Ireland District Competitions have been won over the years including, Volley Ball, Unihoc, five-a-side, Athletic Meetings, Figure marching, Drill, Crafts and Quizzes.
The highest Award in the Boys’ Brigade is the Queen’s Badge and over the years this has been awarded to: John Cameron; David McCullough; John Mawhinney; Kenneth Graham; Ronald Fleming; George Robinson; Alwyn Ross; Stephen Law; Michael Shortt; Colin Fleming; Stuart Alexander; Glen Cinnamon; Keith Fletcher; Edwin McCullagh; Alister Harbinson; Paul Lynas; Stephen Hamill; Alan Mccall; David French; Jason Kenny; David Hart; John Hamill; Robert Best; Aaron McGrath; Gareth McGrath; Simon McIntyre; Thomas Alderdice.
Past Captains have been: Jim Wylie (1952 – 1967); Hugh Wylie (1967-’68); David McCullough (1968 – ’71); Wilfred Vogan (1971 – ’72); Stanley Dawson (1972 – ‘73); Ronnie McCullough (1973 – ‘ 84); Tom Shortt (1984 – ’93); Bill McGrath (1993 – 2005) Paul Lynas 2005 - present.
While there have been quite a few Captains there have been few Chaplains, Rev. Samuel Duff, Rev. David Clarke, Rev. Trevor Wilson and present Minister of Templepatrick Presbyterian Church, Rev. Richard Kerr.
They hope that over the years 1st Templepatrick has been successful in promoting the object of the Boys’ Brigade and that all who have passed through the ranks and all who continue to do so, will remain “Sure and Steadfast” in advancing Christ’s kingdom.
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Antrim
Wednesday 19 June 2013
Temperature: 10 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 10 mph
Wind direction: South west
Temperature: 12 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 13 mph
Wind direction: South east