The former Massereene Barracks site in Antrim has been sold.
Local councillor Adrian Watson, speaking at Thursday’s monthly meeting of Antrim Council, said he had been advised that the sale of the site had been completed.
Describing it is as the “biggest acquisition” in the borough for “many, many years”, Councillor Watson said there was real potential for a major boost to local employment.
Speaking to the Times after the meeting, Cllr. Watson said it was his understanding that there had been three main bidders with a serious interest in the site.
He added that it was his understanding that the eventual successful buyer was a major international company.
“I believe there will be significant employment opportunities,” Cllr. Watson said.
He added: “I’m particularly delighted that the buyer has shown such a vote of confidence in the borough for their business.
“This is going to be a multi, multi million pound development.”
The military complex, which stretches to almost 17 hectares and includes more than 37,000 square metres of buildings and warehouse space, had been put up for sale last October with an asking price of £4million.
It is not known how much was paid, but there is speculation over who has purchased the site.
In March 2009 dissident republicans shot two soldiers dead at the gates of the Army base as they collected a pizza order.
Sappers Mark Quinsey and Patrick Azimkar were preparing to leave for a tour of duty in Afghanistan when they were attacked by members of the Real IRA.