DCSIMG

72 electric blankets found to be faulty

Mayor of Antrim, Councillor Roderick Swann, watches as an electric blanket test is carried out.

Mayor of Antrim, Councillor Roderick Swann, watches as an electric blanket test is carried out.

Seventy-two Antrim housesholds were found to be using faulty electric blankets following a recent testing event organised by the council.

Of the 119 blankets tested over the recent two-day event, over 60 per cent failed.

Faulty blankets are at risk of catching fire and are unsafe to use.

Alison Briggs, Health and Well-being Manager for the council, said: “Funding from the Public Health Agency allows us to hold electric blanket testing events every year.

“This year, 60.5 per cent of blankets failed to pass.

“That’s 72 households that had been using faulty blankets which clearly shows how important it is to have the tested regularly.”

Alison added: “A specially qualified electrician checked the blankets and if it failed the safety test, customers were given a replacement to take home.

“We then safely disposed of the dangerous blanket.”

So please, if you use an electric blanket do so safely. Make sure it is positioned flat on the bed. If it is taken off the bed for storage it should be rolled rather than folded to protect the wires within the blanket.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page